Overseeding of an present garden is a recognised important a part of annual garden upkeep. All lawns are affected by the precise rising setting during which they exist, their degree of use and basic climate circumstances. Because of this, understanding the fundamental ideas of overseeding and selection of seed combine will allow you to work with nature towards a greener and more healthy garden.
Overseeding your garden will:
- Assist infill broken, naked patches or skinny, worn areas and provides your garden a thicker, denser sward.
- Enhance the color of the garden.
- Scale back weed and moss invasion.
When is the most effective time to overseed a garden
The very best time to overseed an present garden is in spring and autumn, with germination taking 7 to 21 days in superb circumstances.
Also Read: What can you put on top of a septic field
Typical each day temperatures must be in extra of 13ºC for grass seed germination to achieve success.
Choosing the proper garden seed
It’s essential to decide on the proper seed for overseeding. To begin with, attempt to work out what grass sorts you have already got in your garden. Additionally, you will want to contemplate what you employ the garden for, the facet of the backyard, if the soil drains properly, in addition to the looks you are attempting to realize.
For a extra put on tolerant garden select a seed combine containing perennial ryegrass, reminiscent of Medallion® Premium Garden Seed, which is identical combine used to develop our award successful Medallion® turf. It’s a mix of a number of the most superior cultivars for wonderful look and sturdiness, superb to be used within the majority of gardens and ideal for overseeding an present Medallion garden. It comprises each high quality and medium-bladed leaf, with excellent 12 months spherical color, that can set up quickly.
Also Read: Queen of the night cacti
For shady, drier areas or decorative lawns a pure fescue mix could also be extra acceptable and can introduce shade and drought tolerant grasses, which have a high quality bladed leaf and wealthy inexperienced color. One of these seed combine can also be superb if you’re seeking to introduce finer grasses to a ryegrass, utility garden.
It’s possible you’ll want to pick a distinct seed combine for various areas of your backyard or even completely different areas of the identical garden. For instance, a fescue mix for a entrance garden and a ryegrass mix for a again backyard and a shady a part of your garden will profit from a better proportion of fescues within the combine.
How one can overseed your garden
- Mow the garden to approx 25mm.
- Use a spring tine rake to interrupt up and take away the layer of useless matted grass often known as thatch. Depending on the depth of thatch on a garden this course of could require a powered scarifier, which will be employed from most rent retailers. This may assist the seed make contact with the soil permitting it to germinate.
- Utilizing a backyard fork, spike the garden to a depth of approx. 150mm at 300mm intervals.
- In case your garden has not been fed within the final 4 months we advocate feeding the garden before overseeding. The garden can often be overseeded 3 to 4 days after making use of a basic garden fertiliser, nevertheless, you’ll often want to attend about 4 weeks after making use of a feed, weed & moss killer. (Verify the directions on the product for this.) A pre-seeding fertiliser is right and will be utilized up to some days before overseeding.
- Sow the seed evenly throughout the garden.
- Medallion® Premium Garden Seed ought to be utilized at a price of 23g per m².
- The seed will be combined with Garden Topdressing and utilized to the garden collectively. This may save a little bit of effort and time working the topdressing and seed into the floor.
- The seeded space have to be saved moist, subsequently, water your garden after 2 or 3 days if no rain has fallen.
- Particular naked patches will be reseeded with out treating the entire garden. Apply the identical process as above, however use sowing charges as for a brand new garden (Medallion® Premium Garden Seed at 35g per m²).
- To guard particular areas from birds take into account protecting with netting or backyard fleece. This ought to be eliminated when new shoots begin to come by the soil.
- Attempt to hold visitors on a freshly overseeded garden to a minimal for 7 to 21 days.
- Elevate mowing heights to roughly 50mm for the preliminary 2 or 3 cuts, then scale back right down to 25mm over the following 2 or 3 cuts. By no means take away greater than a 3rd of the grass blade size at anybody time and on new sowings ideally by no means greater than 1 / 4.
Additional garden care recommendation will be present in our Data Centre. You can even join garden tricks to obtain common garden care recommendation, information and promotional gives by e mail which is able to make it easier to get the most effective out of your garden.
Also Read: What kind of nuts are there