On warm days spent outdoors, it’s not uncommon to catch your dog lapping up a bit of pool water. But is it safe for dogs to drink pool water? Here’s what to know if you find your pup consuming chlorine.
Is Pool Water Safe for Dogs to Drink?
If your dog drinks a small amount of pool water, don’t panic. Chances are your pup will be perfectly fine, especially if your pool’s chlorine levels are at a safe balance. Most swimming pools have a low chlorine level and are therefore not usually harmful to dogs in small amounts.
Reading: Dogs drinking from salt water pool
That said, anything in excess can be a problem. If your dog drinks too much chorinated water, this can cause irritation that may lead to vomiting and esophagus erosion.
Also Read: How often do you water bamboo
You may think the less chlorine, the better, right? Think again. Pool water can be dangerous of the chlorine levels are too high or too low. Untreated pool water can contain algae, parasites, and other bacteria. If you find you need to do a chemical shock to rebalance the pool, make sure to keep your dog away until the balance is safe.
One alternative to chlorine is bromine, which is more expensive but safer overall for pets.
The biggest toxic concerns are with chlorine tablets themselves. Make sure to store these in a safe place where your dog cannot access them.
How to Stop Dogs Drinking Pool Water
Also Read: Best time to plant flowers
If you find your dog drinking swimming pool water frequently,
- Make sure your dog has easy access to fresh water in a nearby bowl. If your dog seems disinterested in their water bowl, you might try an affordable pet drinking fountain that rotates water.
- Monitor for signs of overheating, dehydration, and heatstroke. If you’re out swimming, chances are it’s pretty warm outside.
- If your pet continues to lap up pool water, take them inside for a break.
- Use basic obedience training to redirect your dog, excite them with a new toy, or call them to their place, away from the pool.
Symptoms of Water Intoxication in Dogs
What if my dog drinks too much water? Although rare, water intoxication in dogs can happen when a dog drinks too much too quickly, no matter the source of the water.
Symptoms of water intoxication include:
- loss of coordination (including stumbling, falling, or staggering)
- pale gums
- dilated pupils
- glazed eyes
If your dog is showing any of these signs, call your veterinarian and take your dog in as soon as possible.
Also Read: Willow tree with pink flowers