Classic Coleslaw For Pulled Pork
This is our go to recipe when we want coleslaw for pulled pork, and it’s as good as it gets! Crunchy, tangy, not too creamy, and just a touch sweet! We’re using store-bought coleslaw mix or chopped cabbage to make this quick and easy. Add thinly sliced red onion, then mix with our homemade coleslaw dressing.
Give it a toss, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour, though 2 is better! It stays crunchy without being weighed down and heavy from too much mayonnaise. Instead, you’ll find it’s the perfect light bite to top everything from pulled pork and bbq chicken sandwiches, to tacos, Reubens, and more!
Reading: Coleslaw recipe for pulled pork
Make today, then enjoy at all summer cookouts and gatherings, because this homemade classic coleslaw is not to be missed!
Ingredients For Coleslaw
- Bagged chopped cabbage mix (red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots)
- Red onion
- Red wine vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
If you come from my husband’s family — or many Southern family’s — you likely add celery seed to homemade coleslaw. That’s cool, you do you, but I am pretty anti celery in my coleslaw so I’m leaving it out. If you like it, add ½ tsp to the recipe below. That should be just enough to get that flavor you crave!
How To Make Coleslaw For Pulled Pork
Also Read: What is acai made of
Homemade coleslaw could not be more simple! The thing to note is that it’s best served after sitting for at least 1 hour. This gives the cabbage a chance to sop up the dressing, which is necessary to make the best ever coleslaw for pulled pork!
Place bagged coleslaw mix in a large bowl, then add ½ a thinly sliced red onion, ¾ cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp granulated sugar, ½ tsp Kosher salt, and a couple pinches of black pepper. Use tongs to thoroughly toss.
Refrigerate until needed, at least 1 hour. Longer is better!
Other Ways To Enjoy Coleslaw
If you’re not eating coleslaw on a sandwich (not just for pulled pork, totally delicious on a reuben sandwich, rachel, or pulled chicken!) or as a side dish at your next picnic or cookout, here are some other ways to serve it up:
- On tacos!
- In eggrolls!
- As a bed for shawarma or other grilled meats, such as kebabs!
- With blackened salmon, mahi mahi, or chicken!
- On hot dogs or sausages!
Also Read: Is an olive a fruit or vegetable
We could go on and on — this is just sigh a light, crunchy side dish, it really pairs well with anything that could benefit from a touch of vinegar!
Tips For The Best Coleslaw
- Use store-bought coleslaw mix or chopped cabbage! Honestly, it is just so much easier than chopping fresh cabbage, it’s all pretty uniform in size, and you get a little of everything (red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots), without having to buy a ton of each.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour! Yes, we’re a broken record, but coleslaw is best when mixed and then chilled for at least 1 hour. 2 hours is even better! You can make this 1 day in advance if you want to prep ahead!
- Don’t add too much mayonnaise! If you like a super creamy coleslaw, this likely isn’t the recipe for you. Instead, this coleslaw for pulled pork uses both mayonnaise and red wine vinegar in the dressing to create a light, tangy, slightly sweet coleslaw. It’s the best ever!
- Don’t skip the sugar! The sugar will help to balance out the tang from the vinegar. Don’t worry, it’s not a very sweet dish, it adds just enough to balance it all out.
One bite of our crunchy coleslaw and we think you’ll agree it’s hard to stop! It truly is the perfect companion for pulled pork sliders and sandwiches, and will certainly become a staple at all your summer cookouts!
If you make this Traditional Coleslaw recipe, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below.
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
More summer recipes to try!
- Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
- Grilled Lobster Tails and Clams
- Grilled Peach Salad
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad
- Israeli Salad
Also Read: Recipe for chicken rotel spaghetti