Growing Pink Muhly Grass is surprisingly easy, especially considering the exciting show this plant puts on every year! In late summer billowy pink plumes emerge above the compact, mounded foliage. These airy pink blooms dance in the breeze throughout fall offering a long season of colorful flowers. While this grass is a perennial, it holds winter interest. The pink plumes and green leaf blades fade to tan, but keep their shape throughout winter. This stunning ornamental grass adds color and texture to the landscape. While it isn’t always easy to find at your local garden center, you can buy Pink Muhly Grass online any time of year. Read on to learn all about Pink Muhly Grass Care
Muhly Grass is low maintenance and pest, deer, and disease resistant. It is also drought, heat, pollution, and salt tolerant. This grass is not invasive.
Reading: Care of pink muhly grass
Pink Muhly Grass Care
Plant Muhly Grass in growing zones 6 to 9 for best results.
- Pick your spot. Full sun is best for muhly grass, but some shade is fine especially in warmer climates. This hardy ornamental grass tolerates any soil that drains well. So unless your planting site has standing water you are good to go.
- Water. Water your newly planted grass well. Keep it moist for at least the first month. It is very drought tolerant after establishment, but will grow best when it is watered deeply on occasion in periods of heat and drought.
- Fertilize. Feed your Pink Muhly Grass a balanced slow release fertilizer in spring. If you have nutrient weak soil or haven’t seen a lot of blooms in previous years go ahead and fertilize again in mid to late summer.
- Mulch. Applying 1 to 2 inches of mulch a bit farther out than the root zone extends when planting is a great option to keep weeds at bay as well as reduce watering needs by allowing the soil to better retain moisture. We also recommend applying a hearty mound of mulch in late fall especially in zones 6 to 7a to protect the roots in winter.
- Prune. Trimming your grass back close to the ground can be done anytime after the grass browns, but we recommend pruning back in late winter or early spring to enjoy the winter interest this pretty plant provides.
In the Landscape
Also Read: How to propagate an orchid
Pink Muhly grass only reaches 2 to 3 feet tall and wide so it works in many landscapes. Its salt and wind tolerance make it great for coastal areas. But this grass is lovely just about anywhere whether it be city, country, or suburban
Our favorite landscape use to maximize the lovely whimsy of the pink fall plumes are mass plantings. Groups of 3 or 5 look lovely in foundation plantings or mixed beds. Welcome visitors by lining a walkway with this grass. Plant it about 2 feet apart for a uniform look.
This beautiful plant stands out on its own. Even a single plant by a mailbox or in an area you want to highlight will look amazing.
Also Read: How far apart to plant basil
Now you know all about Pink Muhly Grass Care, so Buy Pink Muhly Grass Online.
Browse our selection of Ornamental Grasses for more low maintenance options.
Also Read: How to get rid of house crickets